Friday 28 February 2020

Finding your signature style

I do think collectors like to see 'identity' in an artist's work, but I don't think that needs to limit a bear artist's work in any way. My belief is that identity develops over over time - maybe that's as a result of discovering which techniques work best for an artist?

I have tried many different techniques and designs over the years and am told my work is easily identifiable. I tend to lean towards techniques I know will create appealing bears as I'm not particularly driven to make my designs overly complicated, simply to incorporate new techniques for the sake of trendsetting. I prefer to create from the heart and see where that leads me!





I've seen so many artist bears over the years which in my humble opinion, could have benefitted from their makers spending a little longer developing basic bear crafting skills, prior to launching into every conceivable technique and style ... I really believe the best bears come from makers who have taken the time to learn to walk, before running.


Over the years I've also become aware of the diversity of styles of artist bear ... classic, vintage style, contemporary, realistic, the list goes on - a talented bearmaker will often be able to create bears across a variety of styles and designs, whilst retaining an individual identity.



I think the key is to keep asking yourself what you can offer to your particular style of bear, to make it unique.


 I believe bear artists and aspiring bear artists are by nature creative, but as with all things, some are more innovative than others, tending to lead by example, whereas others may draw inspiration by what's happening around them - although the concept they are working on may not be their own (after all, how many bear artists can truly say they were the first to develop a technique or particular style of bear?) they are excited and inspired by it and want to try and develop it in their own style.


When you've been creating and studying bears for a good many years, you begin to notice that ideas which are heralded as innovative, have perhaps been put into practice in one form or another previously ... and there is rarely anything that truly hasn't been done before. The trick is to work hard to create an identity of your own for your work.

I also think it's important to study your subject as broadly as possible, because that way, not only will you draw inspiration, you will also being to discover where your own creative niche lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment