Thursday 5 March 2020

The process of making a teddy bear

 Making a traditional teddy bear is a very involved process...


Even a fairly straightforward classic teddy bear takes about twelve solid hours to create - from drawing and cutting out the pattern, trimming the mohair edges by hand to give a professional finish, then pinning the pieces together ready for sewing, setting in paws, stuffing, making the head, assembling, jointing and finishing. 


So I'd share my latest bear's work-in-progress photos to show the process. The picture above shows a stuffed head with muzzle closely trimmed on top.


I usually pin the ears roughly in place at this point and use a couple of black pins to give me an idea of where to place the eyes. Then I start to scissor sculpt the rest of the muzzle.


I always work on the head first and when I'm happy with the muzzle, move on to nose embroidery.


Once the nose and mouth are sewn, I think the bear really starts to take on his personality!


But as you can see, it's only when the eyes (vintage boot buttons in this case) are inserted, he comes to life ...


When both eyes are in place and he can look straight at me, my teddy bear is ready to be assembled.


After I have jointed the head to the body, I half stuff his limbs and measure where I want to fix them.


When making a traditional bear, the traditional method of jointing limbs and head is to use two hardboard discs, one inside the body cavity and the other in the limb, then make a crown joint using a cotter pin and washers to secure.


When teddy has been assembled, it's time to stuff him, add his growler and close all seams by hand.


Lastly, there are claws to be stitched and ears to be sewn on; again by hand.


To finish teddy, I like to give him a thorough brush with a teasel brush to remove any fur trapped in the seams and generally spruce him up before deciding how to accessorize.  As this is a traditional teddy, I opted for a smart satin bow.


Before teddy can be offered for adoption, I like him to have studio photographs taken for my website as it's important to represent the colour of his mohair as accurately as possible and the Iphone pics snapped in my workshop aren't really suitable ... and of course, a beautiful photograph taken on a decent camera is hopefully worth a thousand words!


So that's the tale of how one of my traditional teddy bears is made!


It really is a case of taking the process a step at a time, allowing yourself plenty of time to enjoy bringing your special bear to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment